Pests are a common problem in households across the world. They will cause damage to your property, contaminate your food, make noise, bite painfully as well as cause general discomfort when they are around. Although the problem is common, we don’t really think about pests until we see them, or signs of them, around. So what do you do when you have a pest infestation?
The first thought that comes into most people’s mind is to call an exterminator. For the majority of pests that invade households, however, this is not necessary as you can remedy the problem yourself with professional pest control solutions. A simple internet search will provide all the information you require to control any pest such that all you’llneed to do is acquire pest control products and do it yourself.
Pestrol suggests that there are several benefits of do-it-yourself (DIY) pest control. They include:
- Cost saving. Calling in an exterminator to take care of your pest problem can be an expensive affair. A big part of the cost constitutes of the labour charges of having someone come and treat your house for pests. By doing it yourself, you can eliminate the labour charges and spend money only on the supplies needed for the job. And since you will be sourcing the control products yourself, you can shop around and look for a good bargain on the items you need, further saving you money.
- Most exterminators are open during the same hours when you are at work. This means that scheduling a home visit can be difficult since you have conflicting hours. With DIY pest control, you don’t need to schedule any appointments, all you need is to go into a physical or online store and buy the supplies you need. You can deploy the pest control solution whenever it is most convenient for you.
- Some people are a bit sensitive about strange people going into their home. If you are one of those people, then DIY pest control is for you. All the work will be done by you, and hence you will not have to let anyone you don’t want accessing your house.
- Exterminators take a lot of precautions when they are going about their work, but chemicals could still come into contact with sensitive items without your knowledge. Doing your own pest control ensures that you have control of where the pest control product is being applied for safety reasons. You’ll also know all the items that have come into contact with any dangerous substance so that you can take safety precautions to protect your family and/or pet.
- Choice of products.With DIY pest control, you get to choose the pest control products to be used. If you only want to use humane control solutions or traps instead of pesticides, it’s up to you to decide. This option is often not available when you are dealing with an exterminator.
Even though it is possible to effectively take care of most pest problems by yourself, you should definitely call in a professional when dealing with dangerous pests such as termites inside your house (failure to do so could cost you your home), snakes, and wasps and bees – especially if you are allergic to their stings.