Fan is a device which is used regularly and as it comprises of moving parts there is bound to be friction in the moving parts. Because there is friction in the moving parts therefore there is bound to be wear and tear in these moving parts, the moving parts of the fan should be properly lubricated when there are sounds or some problems experienced in the fan.
There should be some steps followed in oiling the fan properly.
These steps are:
- The very first step is to go through the user manual that has been given with fan. The user manual will tell the user whether the fan we have requires oiling or not. If the fan requires oiling what is the frequency of the oiling of the fan required, is it once a year or once every six or three months and he/she should set the schedule accordingly.
- If the user manual is not available then contact the seller or the customer care operative of the company or the user can also use internet to know about the fan if we know the model number.
- Set up an arrangement to reach the level at which fan is fitted. Be it a step ladder or the usual household way of collection of tables and chairs and make sure it is safe.
- Turn off the power from your fan and also drain the charge from capacitor if it is in open and your body can touch it by mistake, as it may prove dangerous.
- The next step would be to locate the oil hole which is pretty easy. If it is not visible clearly it is recommended to look near the down rod preferable on top of the motor.
- Before just oiling the fan, the user is advised to clean the fan and the blades and to check the oil level in the oil hole. The oil level is checked by pipe cleaner by folding it in half inch hook and inserting it in the oil hole. If the pipe cleaner hook comes out with oil on it the fan doesn’t require oiling but if that doesn’t happen then oiling has to be done.
- For oiling the fan, the user is advised to not to use any oil available to him as many are volatile and due to heat generated during friction can cause fire or some may contain electrolytes that can harm the motor.
- Non-detergent electric motor oil is recommended for the oiling purpose. It is better to return to the user manual as it will specify the oil that can be used.
- The next step would be to clean the oil hole and oiling is to be done along with constant checking with the pipe cleaner. When it comes out dripping oil the oiling has to be stopped. Usually 1-2 ounces of oil is used.
- The fan should be checked and if the problem continues then the oil was not the source of the problem and the user will need some help if he doesn’t have experience with such machinery.
- The fan has to be detached from the ceiling and the blades should be removed and the casing should be opened.
- After this the motors should be oiled properly and rotated manually and then the whole fan should be assembled properly and reattached to the ceiling.
- If on checking the problem or the sound persists then the problem was never due to lubrication and to get rid of the problem the user has to get professional help.
- However, if a problem persists, it’s a better idea to change the fan. I would recommend you check out http://atomberg.com/atomberg-fans/.